Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Reading for Pleasure

I used to love reading.  I remember going through books weekly as a kid.  When I was pregnant I had some time off and got to get back to pleasure reading.  Four years of college had me busy with textbook reading and partying.  I did get a few books in during those years though.

Anyway, I bought a book yesterday at K-Mart when I went to get the Christmas tree price lowered on my lay-a-way.  It is called Handle With Care by Jodi Picoult.  I chose this one because I have enjoyed other books she has written, so I knew it would be a safe bet.  So far, I'm right.

It does tug a certain place in my heart though.  That was her intent, I'm sure of that.  A mother is filing a lawsuit against her OB for wrongful birth.  Her daughter is severely disabled with a bone disease.  She is trying to win the lawsuit on grounds that if she had known about the disease earlier she would of terminated the pregnancy.

As a mother this makes me think.  I have a very healthy baby.  But, what if I didn't?  Am I strong enough to love a child that is disabled and leaves me with piling medical bills I cannot afford?  I think it is a good book for mothers.  It is only making me love my daughter even more.

No comments:

Post a Comment